Review: I tried recipes from the Caps' new "Cooking With the Caps"...
Introducing Caps Outsider’s Hat Trick Database
It only took Alex Ovechkin to score his 14th career hat trick to inspire us to do this project, but better late than never. Caps Outsider grabbed all of the Caps hat trick data over the years and put it into a searchable, sortable database with references and factoids.
Some interesting things we found:
- Peter Bondra still sits comfortably on the Caps Hat Trick Throne with 19 in his career (in other words, Ovechkin still has work to do).
- Fifty-one different Capitals have scored hat tricks.
- Dennis Maruk once wore a blond wig in the locker room before getting a hat trick. I wonder if bloggers would’ve blogged about that.
- Both Bondra and Maruk scored hat tricks in consecutive games.
- Mike Ridley once scored a hat trick with a power play goal – and two short handed goals.
- In 2010, the Caps scored hat tricks in three straight games – Ovechkin, Brooks Laich and Alex Semin.
- Maruk and Tim Tookey each scored hat tricks in the same game, the only time the Caps have done that.
- Only two Caps have had 5-goal games: Bondra and Bengt Gustafsson.
- Washington is 105-15-5 when a Caps player scores a hat trick, and 6-1 in the playoffs.
- Dennis Wideman was once credited with a hat trick but the league took it away when
he checked a refit was confirmed his final goal bounced in off of Brooks Laich.
(Research by Ben Sumner and Chase Pyke)