Just called up from Hershey, Paul Carey (I wanted to sneak 'Ace'...
How the Caps Blogosphere Spent Its Summer Vacation
Many Capitals bloggers didn’t let this year’s summer vacation get in the way of publishing Caps-centric content for this hockey-loving city. But summer, relatively speaking, is a slow time for hockey news. So what did we do? Plenty. Let’s recap. (Note: By ‘we’ I mean Caps bloggers)
- After the loss to Montreal, we had a eulogy read to us, then watched Montreal upset the Penguins, then watched Philly beat Montreal and lose to Chicago.
- We celebrated when Nick Backstrom committed to the Caps for the next decade.
- We watched Alex Ovechkin party.
- We celebrated another Calder Cup with the Hearshy Bears.
- We watched Ovie and Green get shafted at the NHL awards.
- We tried to figure out what to do with Tomas Fleischmann. Then we signed him.
- We bid farewell to Jose Theodore.
- We watched Ted Leonsis and On Frozen Blog spar over the Caps’ offseason moves.
- We welcomed DJ King.
- We bid farewell to major Caps media personalities Tarik el-Bashir and Lisa Hillary.
- We thought about Willie Mitchell.
- We bought our Winter Classic tickets.
- We partied with Russian Machine Never Breaks.
- We participated in a charity hockey tournament, Leap Towards a Cure.
- We eagerly awaited Puck Daddy’s Mount Puckmore for the Caps, written by the Caps blogger lord J.P. of Japers’ Rink.
- We followed the Eric Belanger saga.
- We watched Nyjer Morgan get sick of baseball and audition for hockey.
- We unanimously agreed that we belong in NHL press boxes.
- We dismissed Damien Cox’s book, and challenged his journalistic integrity.
- We read about our own motivation for blogging at Storming the Crease.
- We welcomed more Caps to Twitter.
- We provided excellent coverage of rookie camp and training camp.
The Capitals Blogger of the Summer – the Cappie – goes to…
Neil Greenberg, of Russian Machine Never Breaks. Aside from writing, he spent his summer shooting photos for Michael Hoffman at the Examiner, shooting photos of Homer McFanboy’s roller hockey games, and getting a blogging gig with Capitals Insider at washingtonpost.com.
Now, preseason begins, and we can once again focus on what’s really important. More page views.