Paul Carey, Aaron Ness, Nathan Walker and Madison Bowey tallied goals during...
Poll: Who Will Lead the Caps in Plus/Minus?
It’s easy to have a knee-jerk reaction and say that Alex Ovechkin will lead the Capitals in plus/minus in the coming season, but doing so would more likely prove you’re a thoughtless fanboy. Ovechkin led the team twice in his six years, but never alone. He tied with Nicklas Backstrom last season, and he tied with Viktor Kozlov four years ago. While there are many factors that go into why certain players get more pluses (like Jeff Schultz‘s off-the-charts +50 two seasons ago), we’re no Neil Greenberg and instead would prefer to just ask the audience. Here are the Caps’ plus/minus leaders since the lockout, including Ovie’s.
2010-11 Ovechkin/Backstrom +24
2009-10 Jeff Schultz +50 (Ovie +45)
2008-09 Alexander Semin +25 (Ovie +8)
2007-08 Ovechkin/Kozlov +28
2006-07 Boyd Gordon +10 (Ovie -19)
2005-06 Chris Clark +9 (Ovie +2)
Who will be the plus/minus king of the Caps?
- Nick Backstrom (16%, 14 Votes)
- Mike Green (11%, 10 Votes)
- Brooks Laich (10%, 9 Votes)
- Karl Alzner (9%, 8 Votes)
- Alexander Semin (8%, 7 Votes)
- Alex Ovechkin (you're lame if you pick this) (8%, 7 Votes)
- Roman Hamrlik (7%, 6 Votes)
- John Carlson (7%, 6 Votes)
- Jeff Schultz (6%, 5 Votes)
- Joel Ward (4%, 4 Votes)
- Dennis Wideman (4%, 4 Votes)
- Troy Brouwer (3%, 3 Votes)
- Mike Knuble (3%, 3 Votes)
- Marcus Johansson (2%, 2 Votes)
- Jeff Halpern (1%, 1 Votes)
- Jason Chimera (he was -10 last season) (0%, 0 Votes)
- Matt Hendricks (0%, 0 Votes)
- John Erskine (0%, 0 Votes)
Total Voters: 89
- Who Will Lead the Caps in Penalty Minutes?
- Who Will Be Second in Shots?
- Who Will Be the Caps’ Fourth-Leading Scorer?
- Who Will Be Second in the East?
- Which Caps Jersey Would You Buy?