For those of you who have been checking in on the “Movembears”...
2010-11 Predictions for Ovechkin
After Alex Ovechkin put up a jaw-dropping 528 shots on goal two years ago, few would have thought that he would’ve taken a career-low 368 last season while maintaining a better scoring pace than the previous season.
Going into his sixth NHL season, Ovechkin, 25, is still in his prime, and we predict that – overall – he will have the best season of his career in 2010/2011. Specifically:
Games: 74 (72 last season) His days of playing all 82 are over.
Goals: 55 (50 last season)
Assists: 62 (59 last season) A career high.
Points: 117 (109 last season) A career high.
Plus/Minus: +50 (+45 last season) Another career high.
Penalty Minutes: 75 (89 last season)
Hits: 190 (185 last season)
Blocks: 25 (20 last season)
SHG: 0 (0 last season)
Shots on Goal: 400 (368 last season)
GW: 9 (7 last season)
PPG: 15 (13 last season)
PPA: 25 (23 last season)
It’s not just statistics with Ovie. Other things will happen, both good and bad. Here’s what we think:
- He’ll get a five-game suspension for a ‘dirty’ hit
- He’ll have to fight a player in retaliation for that hit (with fights by Matt Bradley and DJ King following his fight)
- He’ll flash the HBO cameras
- He’ll be criticized for his behavior on HBO, and Caps bloggers will jump to his defense
- He’ll refuse a fan’s request to sign a copy of Damien Cox’s book
- He’ll miss a few games with minor injuries
- His 600th point and 300th goal will come on the same play
- He’ll win his third Hart, second Art Ross, third Rocket Richard, fourth Ted Lindsay/LEster Pearson, sixth Kharlamov award, first Stanley Cup and first Conn Smythe
We will revisit this list at the end of the season to see how we did.
Twitter: @CapsOutsider, @benjaminsumner